Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Useless, really

This morning I was surprised to wake up to snow blanketing the cars. This meant of course I now had to leave myself an extra few minutes to brush it off before dashing the kiddos off to the bus stop.

As I was busily tossing coats in the direction of the kids and grabbing mine, I tried to figure out what to put on my feet. I glanced over in the corner and wondered if I had time to do up my snow boots (lace-up, but they stay on really well). Nah, I'll just grab my clogs I thought. There's not that much snow (maybe a 1/2 inch) there flat and comfy, no big deal.

Hmmm.

Now, the clogs have this felt-bottomed ribbed gumsole thing going on for the sole of the shoe. I thought it would give me traction. Turns out the weirdest thing happened. As I was going along, the very wet slushy snow stuck to the bottoms of the shoes and kept building up! After a few minutes I found myself skidding along on about a half inch of packed on icy snow that was stuck directly to my shoes. I had to do this funny shuffle walk to try to scrape it off so I wouldn't fall down at each step.

These shoes that are normally so comfortable had become utterly useless and downright dangerous. God chose that moment to show up and poke me in the brain. Gave me a micro-lesson, if you will.

How I really needed those shoes to provide safety and traction and instead they picked up everything they touched and became useless and dangerous. Kind of like some people I've known. You know the type - they become psychic lint brushes that drag all their bad experiences around with them. In a crisis they're utterly useless because there's nothing about them that makes them stick.

And then I wondered - how am I in a crisis?

Do I have anything abut me that makes me stick and get traction and dig in and be useful? Or do I pick up everything along the way to the point where I just go skidding along being useless to myself and everyone around me?

Food for thought, that.

And next time I'm grabbing the snow boots!

No comments: