Monday, August 18, 2008

My new favorite store

OK, before I begin this, you need to understand that I normally don't get excited over stores - of any sort. Being The Mom, I seem to spend half of my waking life in stores of one sort or another. So one more store is not usually a big deal.

That said, yesterday we were coming home from our "summer's last hurrah" camping trip and just a few miles from home we passed a brand new SuperTarget. One of our traditions after all the counselors are gathered the day before our church camp week is the SuperWalmart run. So I was familiar with the concept of these superstores, but we had never had one near us.

Most of the time I prefer trees and green spaces to suburban sprawl, and small private retailers to mega giants. But seriously, when you have 3 small children, any store that provides one stop shopping and is less than 15 minutes from home is a Big Deal. And on this particular day, the day after returning from a fun-but-exhausting camping trip - and the day of our baby boy's 2nd birthday - with no extra food in the house because of the pre-vacation refrigerator disaster, this place was like Mecca for Moms.

How wonderful it will be to not need 3 separate stores on those days I need diapers, shampoo, batteries, a gift for someone, and something for dinner all at the same time! Yeah, I know, such a small thing to be excited about. But after 8 years of shuttling babies and small children in and out of car seats to pick up 1 or 2 things each at 3 different places this will make running errands so much easier. Especially with Daughter starting school and all those extra last minute things her teacher will probably want sent in....

No comments: