Thursday, November 6, 2008

The flip side to yesterday's post

I read a disturbing quote on CNN.com today referring to President-elect Obama.

By Stuart Rothenberg, "They don't think he's merely going to be president. They think he's been elected savior." And it showed an artist's rendering of Barack Obama in a Superman costume.

Oooooo-kay. Now THIS I have a problem with. As I said yesterday, I am hopeful about the effect of Barack Obama's election on our country and our relations with the world. He seems like a good man and a good politician. I hope time will prove him to be both. But he is a man. Just a man - a mere mortal like the rest of us. He is not a savior. Those of us who call ourselves Christians already have a Savior - Jesus Christ. Who incidentally warned his followers time and time again about putting our trust in anyone but Him.

Psalm 118:8, 9 "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes." Or presidents, I might add. No matter how powerful and charismatic they are.

I would be as happy as anyone if our new President can help fix our economic mess, unify our country, and improve foreign relations. But whether he can or can't, I already have a Savior.

1 John 5:21 "Dear children, keep yourselves from idols."

No comments: