Friday, November 21, 2008

Fallible Friday follies

Ha. Bet you thought I forgot to post today. Nope, just got sidetracked. Friday is the day I meet with my prayer group moms. By the time I get home it's lunchtime and (maybe, possibly) naptime for little Boo (which today it was, yippee!)

This one'll be a little stream-of-consciousness cause that's the kind of day/week I've had.

So with every good intention I sat down to type after lunch.....and my kitty crawled into my lap trolling for scritches. Well... any of you who has an animal that does this can guess what happened next. Yep, I succumbed to SKOL syndrome (Sleeping Kitty On Lap) and suddenly found I could not keep my eyes open. Cats are God's way of telling us to give up and go take a nap. So I did.

So. Then after picking the kids up at the bus stop I decided to ply them with treats to stop them from fighting (Friday after-school meltdowns are the WORST). I wanted to try out what sounded like a yummy and simple recipe that my friend gave me this morning. All you do is take one box of devil's food cake mix and 1 can of solid pack pumpkin, mix together, put in muffin trays, bake for 350 deg. for 15-18 minutes. Voila! Yummy chocolate muffins with a nutritious surprise.

I should have know that it sounded too easy.

First, I couldn't remember what size can pumpkin when I was in the store, so I bought the big one (29 oz size). Well, it was supposed to be the small one (14 oz. size), so I decided to do a double batch. Ha. Ha. By the time I got 2 cake mixes and 1 large can of pumpkin in my mixing bowl it was all I could do to mix it without overflowing the bowl. It didn't help that the batter is the consistency of thick icing. I probably should have dug out the mixer but I was stubborn and didn't want to clean it. Between a fork and a spatula I managed to mix it. Whew! There's a workout for ya.

Got the thick stuff into the muffin tins and put it in to bake. And bake. And bake. You're supposed to turn the temp. down to 325 deg. if you use a dark tin, which I do. Well.....try more like 20-25 minutes in my oven.

Okay, finally they are done. Well, they smell good - hope they taste good. Waiting....waiting.....waiting. Give one to each child (not the baby, he'd bounce) and one for me. And the verdict is....

Mmmm. Different - good different. Less like muffins or cake and more like molten chocolate cake consistency (for you bakers, a very soft, fine crumb)- yummy! But more treat or dessert than breakfast (my friend makes hers for brunch - ummm, maybe not unless it's WITH something else - unless I want to train the children as trapeze artists by having them swing from the curtain rods.)

Sigh of relief. I'm supposed to make up a batch for us to put in the teachers' break room for a pre-Thanksgiving treat. It's good to know the recipe works and is tasty.

No comments: