Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Opened a can of worms

Now I've gone and done it. I just committed the unpardonable sin of our modern age. I Corrected Somebody Else's Child. I will have to deal with the fallout when and if it comes. But I will stand by my actions.

For those of you who know me, you know that this is a Really Big Thing. I hate confrontation, in all forms. But today I'd had enough...

In the afternoon, our school bus stop is really crowded. Anywhere up to a dozen middle school age children are waiting there for their little brothers and sisters (who ride the same bus as my daughter). Like most kids this age they posture, gossip, rag on each other and generally cause all sorts of mischief. Some of the mischief is stupid, but mostly harmless. There are usually up to a dozen parents waiting in and around the bus stop as well. Even though some of them have rolled their eyes and given the kids exasperated looks, none has said anything thus far.

Today, as I got to the corner (with my 2 year old in his stroller) one of the boys (I think of him as the Instigator) was beating up one of the other boys. Before I could say anything, the other boy broke away and stalked off. He's a good kid when he's not with Instigator, he used to hang out with my kids on the playground. Instigator is still looking to pick a fight, but the other kids are ignoring him. So I figure I'll mind my business. But I watch them...

A few minutes later, Instigator starts picking on a much smaller boy, punching him and knocking him into the fence. At this point, I snap. I don't care if his folks come after me. This is ridiculous. In my best parental yell I shout "That's enough!" at them. They stop, looking stunned. Instigator says "We were just playing". And I say, "Well, it didn't look that way to me."

The kids go on about their business. Nobody but me and God knows how badly I'm shaking inside. I hope that I won't have anymore confrontations with Instigator (or his family!). I will pray that God will send this boy someone who can relate to him and love him. I know that he's just crying out for attention, any attention. But I won't stand by and let him get it by beating up other people's children.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Heaven help me and my big mouth...

No comments: