Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lost in my own little world

There are days, in my life as a SAHM, when I feel like I don't even surface to the world at large. On those days, like today, I wouldn't notice if one of the world's continents slipped into the ocean (unless it happened to be the one I'm living on.) There are many days where my most frequent conversational partners are a 2 year old and a cat. Or me, myself, and I - but you know people look at you funny if you do that too often.

Even though I've been at this now for almost 9 years there are days where it still strikes me as strange that I am little more than a hermit (albeit in a house, not a cave). For most of my life I've been very much a part of the world at large. What with 13 years of school, 4 years of college, 7 years in retail, and 3 years in an office I had a need to know what transpired in the world each day. Well, at least insofar as it concerned my role.

Many of these days I feel like even God must be bored watching me. Today's agenda included getting 2 (still reluctant) children off to school, washing and changing bedding, feeding a toddler and a cat breakfast and lunch, catching up on email and blog, and preparing for the evening's activities.

Tonight's agenda includes picking up the 2 kids at the bus stop, fixing after school snacks, helping the oldest with homework, making a batch of brownies, making a quick supper for all of us and the cat, driving us all to daughter's Daisy Girl Scouts investiture ceremony, coming home to do bath and bedtime routine - and going to bed.

Most of my life, if it were a novel, would be too boring to read. I guess that's why I've had a hard time lately in my quiet times with God - I keep thinking God is bored with me too. I know that I need to get over this, but I haven't quite figured out how. Maybe I need to go dig out that book by Brother Lawrence called Practicing the Presence of God. After all, washing dishes in a monastery is not exactly material for Access Hollywood.

No comments: